Long Strange TripEileen
Today is Jerry Garcia Day at the Pint Size Park, so we’ve got a flashback for you. (No, not that kind of flashback.) Picture this: It’s March 1970. Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh and Bobby Weir of the Grateful Dead are sitting on the diving board at their hotel pool with acoustic guitars, writing music to kill time before their concert at Pirates World theme park. In just 2 1/2 hours, they bang out the music for the iconic song, Truckin‘, which includes the famous line: Lately it occurs to me, what a long, strange trip it’s been. Despite the reference to “strange trip,” Trip was not named after this song. However, there is a long, strange list of coincidences to ponder:
- Jerry Garcia’s parents owned a bar. Trip owns a bar.
- Jerry’s first name was Jerome. Trip’s middle name is Jerome.
- Truckin‘ was recognized by the United States Library of Congress as a National Treasure. Trip once saw the movie National Treasure.
- Ben & Jerry named an ice cream after Jerry Garcia. Trip really, really likes ice cream.
- And in the most mind-blowing coincidence of all: The Grateful Dead played 2,314 shows. Barley Creek has been open 8,274 days, which is roughly 3 1/2 times the number of Dead shows. Guess how many Jerry Garcia ties Trip owns? 3 1/2! (The other half tie was lost in a scissors accident at Jeremy’s Ale House. Don’t ask.)
So tonight, put those rings on your fingers and bells on your toes. Tuck some scarlet begonias into your curls and ribbons, ribbons, ribbons in your long, brown hair. We’re gonna roll away the brew and celebrate Jerry Garcia tonight at the Pint Size Park from 4-9pm, with live music and a Grateful Dead tribute from the Bandana Brothers (music starts at 6pm). The bartenders are mixing up a special Jerry Garcia themed cocktail, and we’ll also have free t-shirts for you to tie-dye here and then take home, but supplies are limited, so get here early! And, remember this… If you get confused, just listen to the music play!